13 March 2007

Midwifery school

In December I decided that I would apply for the school I was interested in before the tuition went up. So I applied to Ancient Art Midwifery Institute aka AAMI. I decided to apply just to their Intro to Midwifery course to see if I would really like the program before committing to the whole thing.

Two days AFTER finding out we were expecting twins, I get my first study packet in the mail. Oh my goodness, there is sooooo much work to do. (that would explain my lack of attention to my blogs!) So now I have book reviews, papers, critiques, interviews, practice tests, etc. to do. All due before July 11th. I've written out my goals for each week just to get it done in time. My goal is to have it all done by June 15.

The administrator of the school is a Christian and said that when I apply for the whole program she'll give me a discount for being a missionary!

What I like about the school is that you get all of the assignments at once. Then you can decide what you're most interested in to start with. It's not an accredited school because they don't require apprenticeship during the studies (though it's encouraged). They don't offer a degree but expect that all their students do an apprenticeship and then work towards being licensed or towards the CPM (Certified Professional Midwife). Supposedly this is the most difficult midwifery school out there. Many midwives use it for continuing education or because their school wasn't in depth enough. After looking at the materials, it's more like getting 2 whole extra degrees!

I'm so excited! At first I thought that having twins would just put me so much more behind schedule, but then I realized... Hey! I'm two years ahead of schedule, because we're probably done having kids after this!

Now, back to work for me!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Laura said...

wow-does sound very demanding-but then that means it will be very rewarding. And you're right-you're definitely ahead of schedule-good way of looking at it!

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger rcsnickers said...

Wow from me too! I am overwhelmed just from reading all that you have to do! But what an exciting adventure it will be. I have a friend from a yahoogroup who went through AAMI. She just finished a year ago. She loved it!

How awesome that they will give you a discount from being a missionary!

Letisha

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your assessment of AAMI. I've never seen their materials but can't wait until I have an apprentice who is doing their progam so I can see what it's like!

And I'm SO with you on the twins completing your family. We've been TTC #3 for almost two years and now I'm at the point where the space will be so big that I want 4 kids (so there's no odd man out, presumably). So I've decided to pray for twins so I can get #3 and #4 in at the same time (among other reasons...). Congrats on your pregnancy *and* your start on the path to midwifery!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home