18 November 2006

practiced clinical skills

One of my pregnant friends is due next week. She called me up and asked if she could come over for a while since she's stopped working for a while. So she came over and asked if I wanted to practice on her!

She had gone to see her OB the day before so already knew what the results should be. Kindof good to have as the "answer key" for my findings. Especially since I'm quite the beginner!

I've been practicing taking blood pressure on Dayton a lot, so I sure wanted to get it right the first time, especially on a pregnant lady! Well, got it right the first time, and it was very close to what her BP had been the day before. Score: A+

Next came palpation. Ever tried to find all the parts of a baby through quite a squishy pregnant belly? Not easy. I figured it out after about 3 minutes. I at first second guessed myself because the baby was in a different from normal position. I told her that I thought I knew all the parts and I was right! Unfortunate for her though, the baby is not in a great position. Let's hope it moves a little more in the next week or so. I also enjoyed actually being able to feel the baby's neck and chin so well. I'm predicting a small baby, around 7lb. Did not feel big. Score: A+.

Finally, finding fetal heart tones. First time I've ever used a fetoscope (non-doppler/ultrasound) on a mom before. I knew where it was supposed to go in relation to the baby, and I found it on the first try. I handed the earpieces to her and she got to hear the baby's heart also. Score: A+

Well, that was the highlight of the week!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Merri said...

Wow Erin! Great job, I am so proud of you...

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger rcsnickers said...

How exciting! Will you be attending her birth?

Letisha

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Yay! So exciting! And to be able to feel the baby's neck and chin? Amazing!

Now, about 7lbs. being a small baby-that's debatable. I thought 7.11 was plenty big. :-)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Emily said...

I'm wondering too, will you be able to attend her birth? You're so close to being certified.
By the way, hope you had a good birthday! It sneaked up on me and I didn't send a card...bad me. :( I hope it was fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home