13 October 2008

On to Orientation

I finished all of the prerequisite work before my October 1st deadline. On to Orientation, which for someone working on it full-time, is supposed to be finished in 3 to 4 months. So my goal is 4 months, due Feb. 1st. Thankfully a lot of those assignments were already completed when I did the Intro to Midwifery course last year.

This month I'm working on Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah J. Buckley, an Australian GP who researches on unhindered birth and such. Very interesting and a must-read for all moms, and especially for my readers in New Zealand and Australia!

I'm also working on getting my bedroom more "office ready" as I have more women coming through needing checks, counseling, etc. Working with one mother due in two weeks and having fun palpating on her ever-growing tummy and baby. That baby stayed in one position for weeks and weeks and decided that was just too easy for me. Decided to go in a very awkward position that really made me wonder if the baby was breech posterior (RSA) or vertex posterior (ROP)... either position puts hands and feets poking out with bum and head hiding. Listening with fetoscope was difficult because with the back so far away and moving limbs I couldn't catch fetal heart tones (FHT for those learning my abbreviations) for more than 5 to 10 sec at a time. And the location of the FHT lended itself to again being one of those two postions. But this week, back to its favorite spot!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good luck with Orientation! I am so ready to be done... I should be working on 6A instead of reading blogs. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home