16 January 2008

Scholarship!!!!

I know this blog has been quiet, but I've been working! Every 3 months AAMI (my midwifery school) does a drawing and one of the prizes is 1/2 off tuition scholarship. To be a part of the drawing, you're given about 20 questions over a 3 month period. These questions have to be well researched with citations given. Not easy. I could only do about 7 of them. BUT, I won a scholarship! So, I called Carla, the head of the school and we talked for about half an hour. She totally thinks I can do the whole program from here and was also so excited to have a Christian missionary enrolling. She said she'd do anything she could to help me out with finding books and such.

So, I enrolled! And the neat thing is that I can postpone my start date for up to a year. I decided that August 1st would be a good starting time because a) I have time to get my house ready and study area set up b) twins will be over a year old and more routined with afternoon naps, c) regular school will be starting soon after that d) I'll have had the summer to collect textbooks. I'm so so excited!!!

On a different topic, I'm writing 3 articles for the pregnancy/parenting magazine that is a part of BAMBI (Babies & Mothers of Bangkok Int'l). It's a 3-part series: Breastfeeding Toddlers, Breastfeeding during Pregnancy, Tandem Breastfeeding. I've really enjoyed doing the research since it's relevant to me as well. I'm not only nursing 6mo old twins... I'm also still nursing my over 2-yr old as well. It's got it's own set of challenges! I'll post the articles as they are done. Also I still need to post the adventure of my friend having an unassisted birth at my house.

Having twins is busy busy, but I am so thankful to live in a country where I can hire someone to help me, which also gives me a little bit of free time to study and do what I love!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Laura said...

So glad to have an update and congrats again on the scholarship. Glad you get to pick your start date. And CAN'T WAIT to read those articles, as at least one (for now) is relevant for me! :-)

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger rcsnickers said...

Congratulations on the article! How exciting. You impress me with all that you do! I too cannot wait to read your articles!

Keep up the good work.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Emily said...

That is great news about the scholarship! Can't wait to read your articles as well. So excited for you and glad things are coming together!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Blessedw5mom said...

Am looking forward to those articles! I too am nuring a 2 year old and planning to tandem when baby arives in May.

I've been nursing for 12 years now, as each of our kids has tandem nursed with thier younger sibling for anywhere from 6mos-16mos.

I'm so glad to hear that the women there have a great resource like you! God Bless your work!

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ruth Ann said...

This is great news! It is exciting to see how God works out the 'details'.

Thanks for leaving a comment on my new blog - do you mind if I link my blog to yours?

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Susanne and Dan said...

Hi Erin,
I found your blog while googling "missionary + doula". I can't tell you how excited I got when I saw it! I'm a doula in training now, thinking about going on to be a CPM. I've somehow found myself planted in a circle of Christian friends who are all going green (at least the wives. Our husbands pretend to commiserate about their "hippie" wives!), have natural births, breastfeed, etc. My good friend and I are excited about using our work as doulas to help people to address not only the physical and emotional aspects of birth, but the spiritual. My husband and I both served as missionaries before meeting at Francis Schaeffer's L'Abri in Switzerland, came back for him to finish his schooling and find ourselves living outside Albany, NY. I'm wondering how our passion for ministry can coincide with my passion for birthing women and babies. I'm going on an on, but at any rate, I googled the concept to see what other women were doing and was thrilled not only to find a missionary midwife mama, but one who understood the theological importance of going green! I'm terrible at keeping up with email mostly because I get too easily sucked into the computer, but I'd love to talk more with you about what kind of missionary work you and your husband are doing, your story, etc. And congratulations on your scholarship and on such a beautiful birth of your twins! Last night we saw "The Business of Being Born"- Ricki Lake's documentary on the American birth industry. I don't know if you have access to it (you can get it thru netflix) but I highly recommend it. My email is susanne.hernberg@gmail.com if it's easier for you to email me directly. So glad to learn of your existence!
-Susanne

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Hi Erin,
I am a "missionary mama" serving in Haiti with my husband, 21 month-old, and baby #2 (due in 10 weeks). I am very interested in becoming a midwife and came across your blog while searching for schooling options. I would love to get in touch with you over e-mail if possible. I have a few questions about the AAMI... being that you are doing it overseas as well.

Pam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home