01 April 2008

I'm certified!!! (and other info)

As of this week, I am officially:

Erin Kannon, Doula (CD CBI) and Childbirth Educator (CBE CBI)

I finished all of the births and requirements needed! The two required births were fulfilled in a non-conventional way. The first was a friend who wanted me to doula at her unassisted birth (Hi "M"!) which ended up at my house... maybe she'll OK it for me to post about it here??? The second birth ended up being for a mom that I did all of the prenatal meetings with. Did not attend her C-section, but still gave many hours in a Postpartum Doula role helping with breastfeeding, etc..


Midwifery studies: Though I'm not supposed to start officially with AAMI until Aug. 1st, I'm going ahead and doing the pre-orientation paperwork. I'm also ordering tons (probably 100lb worth!) of books to bring back from our summer visit.


Recently I have been asked how I as a midwife would support a woman in unassisted birth. Many midwives do not support women wanting this option. I am obviously a big fan of unassisted birth: I did a UC with my twins! Let me paste in one of my assignments on the topic.

Unassisted Birth

Unassisted birth is a great option for most women, if they choose to go that route. Women choose to go unassisted for many reasons, such as the need for privacy, previous sexual abuse, lack of money, lack of insurance, no caregiver with the same birth philosophy, previous birth history, or no desire for assistance. I believe that planned unassisted birth is one of the safest options for childbirth. Yes, most women choose a midwife for homebirth, but that isn’t necessarily always safe depending on the midwife’s ways of practice. It is unfortunate that little to no research has been done on this aspect of childbirth.
Living in a country with no options for childbirth other than high-intervention hospitals, I do know of some women who have chosen unassisted birth. I did labor support for one woman on one of the remote islands … over the phone! I am currently pregnant with twins and am planning an unassisted birth for my babies. I refuse the risky testing, “high risk” label, or the “necessary planned” C-section.
As a future midwife, I would be willing to offer support to pregnant women wanting unassisted births. That could be in any prenatal facet, for phone support during labor, coming over to assist when asked, to do postpartum checks, or to help with a birth certificate. The legal situation for a midwife doing this maybe be questionable, but I believe that women have the right to choose what they want for their own medical care and birth.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Awesome! Congratulations!!

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger rcsnickers said...

You go girl! You are really getting a lot accomplished in the time span.

Congratulations!!!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'm so proud of you-Congrats.
And thanks for the post re: UC...now if you would only be here in October!!! How can I convince you to change your flight until then?

Something to laugh about....I read, "I am currently pregnant w/twins" and I was like, "No way-again?!" Then of course, I realized you had written this earlier.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Ruth Ann said...

Hooray! You're amazing, Erin! I don't know how you find the time to do all you do. I'm doing well to keep my 3 in clean clothes - and you've got 4 and you've become a certified doula/childbirth educator!

So proud of you - love, Ruth Ann

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger MissChris said...

Hi Erin,
I found your blog whilst looking for natural birthing resources in Thailand. I'm due to have my baby in April next year... but desperately want to avoid the Thai hospital system! At the moment I'm living in Bangkok, but will move back down to Krabi in November to relax and prepare. I'm planning on having a natural home birth there, but I'm not aware of any doula networks in the South.. I'd really appreciate any advice that you could provide in regards to natural birthing, and in particular organising a birth in Thailand. My email is miss_chris358@hotmail.com... Thanks so much :)

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin,
last year around december i mailed you with the question whether you could help me delivering my baby on Kho phan-gang. I wanted to do a se-birth. You were in Bangkok at the time, i think, and busy.
Just to let you know, i did have the baby. Not in the sea for it was 41 degrees in March, but in a little beach house. I couldn't find a midwife so i did it just with my boyfriend. It went perfect. 9 Hours of waves and a healthy baby girl.
I think of this day every day. It was the most beautiful day in my life. Greatings, Myra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home