17 August 2010

Summer 2010

No posts for June or July and now back to the grind. Here's an update, both midwifery related and personal.

In order to sit for the NARM exam in early 2012, I have to have done a list of things first. I have to be certified in CPR for the Professional Rescuer and certified in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP). I totally forgot that this summer was my last time in the USA before sitting for the exam. I forgot until halfway through June! So then I scrambled and landed a CPR class in FL about 10 miles from my parents' house. A fun class with other nursing students, EMTs, etc.. I also managed to find an NRP class offered in Charleston SC, about 100 miles from my in-laws, but that was my only local option. The class was for nurses and residents at Medical University of SC. I rented a cute 2010 yellow VW beetle and had a nice day by myself driving back and forth to Charleston and sitting in a class for NRP. The NRP they taught was what's needed for certification but not very applicable for out of hospital birth, especially in developing Asia. I also managed to get a few study hours in after family/relatives were asleep for the night.

And now for the personal: About 6 days before we returned to Thailand, my dad had brain surgery to remove an orange-sized tumor. Since then, he has been diagnosed with late stage cancer in his liver, lungs, and abdomen. I am on-call to return when my parents ask for me. I've said no to all births until next year, other than going to Indonesia for Christmas as usual (though that of course can be canceled if I need to). I also have tentative plans for going to Burma the end of October.

I'm enjoying not being on call for births but still do breastfeeding visits and phone assistance. I'm using the time for cleaning my house, organizing, watching the twins at home, and studying (though studying isn't happening much right now). Our 800 sq.ft. apartment will be expanding! Our next door neighbors have agreed to sell to us, so we will soon have 1200 sq.ft. I will be using the "not on-call" status to plan for renovations. Maybe I can squeeze a tiny office into this!

Please keep my family in your prayers. I'll continue to update here.

4 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger 616adventures said...

Erin, Oh how refreshing to see your blog....I would love to hear more about what you are doing both ministry wise and getting your CPM while overseas. I have a serious interest in both. I lived on the thai/burmese border most of 2005. I love the entire birth process and have a bit of background there as well. However, getting my education and CPM have not yet happened....I would be happy to share more if you are interested in the dialogue.
suzie

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Suzie, I'd love to email/chat with you. Email me at erin kannon @ hotmail.com (no spaces)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Sandra Versele said...

Hi Erin, I would love to talk with you a little more. I'm an apprentice midwife in Singapore doing the Elizabeth Davies National Midwifery Intensives. I would like to apply to Bali clinic this summer and would really appreciate sharing with you. I have just returned from Midwifery Today conference and am trying out how to do this! (this being becoming a midwife in SA Asia!) Kind regards sandraversele@yahoo.fr

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home